Wandera compared this year’s Wimbledon-related enterprise mobile data usage for the 2015 tournament to that of the same period in the 2014 tournament. We’ve found a big impact for enterprises’ data allowances…
- The 2015 tournament to date has seen an increase in mobile data usage of 17% over last year
- Enterprise employees are more inclined to use corporate-liable devices to keep up to date with Wimbledon while abroad – 7.5% of monitored employees are tuning into Wimbledon while abroad, compared to 5.9% in 2014
- The top 5 most popular apps for watching and learning about Wimbledon 2015 – and consuming data – are:
- Official Wimbledon app
- BBC Sport
- Wimbledon 2015 unofficial news via Youtube videos
- Wimbledon Tennis Scores + Game
- BBC iPlayer
Two of the reasons for this increase are that digital adoption overall is improving – whether from a personal or professional standpoint, and stream quality is improving as a result of innovation in the devices and the wider network infrastructures. It is likely that this trend for increased personal mobile data use on corporate devices will continue.
The combination of improved stream quality and employees’ increased tendency to use internet browsers and data-hungry apps while abroad is a concern for our enterprise customers. This behaviour can lead to bill shock events, with no warning and minimal recourse. Just gaining visibility of the data usage and spend is more than half the battle. Read more on Computer Weekly.