Wandera Releases Q3 Enterprise Mobility Trend Report
Report Reveals Corporate iOS Users Consumed 6X More Data Than Blackberry Users, and Up to 55% of Data is Non-Business Usage, Among Other Findings
SAN FRANCISCO and LONDON, October X, 2013 —Wandera, the pioneer and leading provider of Mobile Data Optimization (MDO), today released the world’s first report focused exclusively on enterprise mobility cellular data and trends. The report is derived from the analysis of the data usage habits of enterprise smartphone and tablet users in North America, Europe and Asia.
The report demonstrates the trends that are all simultaneously driving the runaway growth in data usage, while creating an increasing cost and management headache for enterprise mobility teams.
- Both domestic and roaming data usage are significantly up (8% Quarter on Quarter, and 16% QoQ respectively), driven by the increased adoption of 4G, tablets and the video usage referenced below.
- iOS and Android users consume significantly more data than BlackBerry users. With access to a wider variety of data-rich applications and a better browsing experience, enterprise iOS users consumed 6X more data than corporate BlackBerry users in Q3, while Android users consumed 5.5X more.
- Video and audio streaming accounted for the single largest portion of cellular data used on all devices — 23% of the total sample. This was closely followed by email (21%), and then geolocation services/maps (14%), browser traffic (12%) and social media (8%). App download traffic was particularly high in September due to the release of iOS7.
- Up to 55% of corporate data is used for non business purposes. The report also revealed that nearly the same amount of data was used by employees on weekends as on weekdays, further indicating that a significant portion corporate data spend is going towards employees’ personal use.
Other significant enterprise mobility trends outlined in the report include:
- A minority of employees consumed the majority of data. This is often skewed towards management departments.
- Employee mobile habits were consistent whether domestic or roaming.
- Peak data usage coincided with work commute times and nearly 50% more data was used on Fridays vs. Mondays.
Wandera is the leader in mobile data security and management, protecting enterprises with real-time threat prevention, compliance and data cost management. Wandera’s multi-level architecture, which includes a pioneering cloud gateway for mobile, offers unrivalled visibility and control. With the industry’s largest mobile dataset, Wandera analyzes billions of daily inputs across its network in real-time to detect emerging mobile attacks and protect sensitive company data. Founded in 2012, Wandera is headquartered in San Francisco and London. For more information visit the website wandera4.wpengine.com